How To Unshrink A Sweater


I recently received a new sweater from my sister.  But there was one catch, she had already worn it once, and had shrunk it.  But I wasn't going to give up on it.  Especially if it meant free clothing!  As you can see below, from under the arm to the bottom of the shirt was 12 inches:

unshrink a sweater


To unshrink the sweater, I used a wool wash - Kookaburra Wash.  This stuff smells great, and a little goes a long way - only 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.  Since I was only soaking this one sweater, I filled a gallon bucket with warm water and the kookaburra wash.  I allowed the sweater to soak for 15 minutes and then rolled it up in a towel to remove the excess water.  Do not wring out because that will cause disturbances with the fibers.

I then stretched out the sweater and pinned it to the foam I had laid out.  As you can see, I was able to get about 2 additional inches out of the sweater.


After allowing it to dry overnight,  I unpinned it and it is now wearable!  As you can see, when unpinned, I did lose some of the stretch, but overall, I gained about 1. 5 inches.  Hopefully my sister doesn't come back asking for this sweater!


No more dryer for this sweater!!



Nhận xét