Italian Sausage Stuffed Loaf



Have you ever had a dinner where at the first bite, your husband {or whoever else} just can't stop talking about it and praising it?  Well, let me tell you, this was one of those meals in our house!  It even had my husband bringing up long-time food memories - I found it quite humorous :).  And more than once, he asked if this was a meal I would be making again.  I think definitely YES after a reaction like that!

Now, let me warn you, when you see the ingredients, it may scare you - quite a long list.  But, a lot of it is just seasonings that you most likely have.  And the one I actually didn't have, I left out {noted below}.  I added notes in brackets {} of things I changed, or would do differently next time.  Feel free to follow the recipe as is, or take my suggestions :).  Oh - and it is even great re-heated the next day!  I hope you enjoy!


Eliorah: Italian Sausage Stuffed Loaf
Original Source: Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • 2 mild Italian sausage links
  • 1/2 pound ground beef {I used 1 pound}
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion {I used 1 small onion}
  • 1/4 green pepper {I used 1 whole green pepper}
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 can (15 ounces) chunky Italian-style tomato sauce {regular tomato sauce works fine too!}
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon aniseed {I left this out}
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread {I used an Italian loaf of bread because, well, my grocer was out of French bread :)}
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese {I probably used 3/4 cup}
  • Coarsely ground pepper

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, cook sausages over medium heat until no longer pink.  Remove and set aside. {Honestly, next time I make this, I will be grilling the sausage - cooking in the skillet took way too long for me}
  2. In the same skillet, cook the beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is no longer pink; drain.
  3. Stir in tomato, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
  4. Cut sausages in half lengthwise and slice; add to meat sauce. {I cut the sausages lengthwise in half, and then half again (so quartered) and then sliced - I liked the smaller pieces}
  5. Cut a wedge out of top of the bread, about 1 inch wide and 3/4 of the way through the loaf.  Discard cut portion or save for another use. {I think next time I will bake with the sausage-stuffed loaf for extra baked bread}
  6. Fill loaf with meat sauce.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper.
  7. Wrap loaf in heavy-duty foil and bake on a flat pan at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
  8. Enjoy the deliciousness!!

What is a meal that you make that always brings back good food memories?  Feel free to share below!


 photo Signature_zps284dfca5.jpg

Nhận xét

Đăng nhận xét