Faith - What Is It?


Faith - what is it really? There is no better way to define this than to look directly to His Word.  Hebrews 11:1 defines faith as follows:


To live out your Faith intentionally, you have to first know what it means. Check out this sermon by John Piper on this very topic titled What Faith Knows and Hopes For. Piper can explain this verse so clearly and so much better than I ever could, I just have to send you his way!

Here are a two excerpts that I really loved:


  • On the assurance of things hoped for - 
"Faith is a spiritual apprehending or perceiving or tasting or sensing of the beauty and sweetness and preciousness and goodness of what God promises - especially his own fellowship, and the enjoyment of his own presence."
  • On the conviction of things not seen -
"We all look at the same fingerprints, but some see and some don't. Those who see have the evidence - the testimony - in themselves."

I'll leave you with another great definition of Faith that I have grown up with {I am not sure where I first heard it from, possibly from Pastor James MacDonald}:
"Faith is believing the Word of God and acting upon it, no matter how I feel, because God promises a good result."
Such an amazing promise to rest in! This is a quote I have memorized, along with Hebrews 11:1. I always have to emphasize the "no matter how I feel" part - Faith isn't always easy, but God always promises a good result!

What are a few of your favorite biblical verses on Faith? Please share in the comments below!

Linking to Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop @ Carrie This Home

Nhận xét

Đăng nhận xét