Growing Your Faith: Being In Prayer Always


Last week we talked about how to grow your faith by being in God's Word daily. Another very important way to be intentional about growing your faith is being in prayer always.

Growing Your Faith: Being In Prayer Always

I would have to say that my prayer life was strongest when I was in high school. Our youth group had a prayer night that met weekly. What a lesson in prayer that was! One of the messages that I learned back then that has stayed with me is found in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 - 'pray without ceasing.'


Growing Your Faith: Being In Prayer Always


We lead busy lives. There is always something vying for our attention. We live in a world where we can be contacted wherever and whenever by a phone call or text message. As easy as it is for us to contact others, so often, we fail to realize, fail to remember, that 'contacting' God is even easier! There are three ways I feel we can pray without ceasing each day:

1. Whisper Prayers


Whisper prayers are those that are little, quick prayers that you can lift up as you go about your everyday life. These are prayers that as I am going throughout my day and something or someone comes to mind, I lift it up to God. Giving thanks for something or someone, lifting up a quick prayer as something is pressed on your heart.

2. Everyday Prayers


I consider everyday prayers as those before a meal or before digging into God's Word. They are a little more formal than whisper prayers. These also include those items or people on your prayer list.

3. Dedicated Prayers


These are the prayers where there is such a tugging on your heart that you can't help but find a quiet place to sit down and spend some time in dedicated prayer. Times when you feel the Holy Spirit urging you to slow down and drawn near to God.


The one thing we must remember with prayer is to not forget to pray in the good times. We are never not in need of drawing near to God in prayer. I love what Timothy Keller has to say in his new book, Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God:



Don't fall into the trap of going lax in prayer when things are going good. There is always something right around the corner, and you need to be prepared for that. The only way to do that is to draw near to God in both the bad times and the good times!

The one thing that I will leave you with today is to use what is available to you out there to help you remain in prayer daily. Keep a prayer journal, download an app to keep your prayer time organized, set alerts on your phone to remind you to take time to pray. There are so many tools out there nowadays - make them work for you!

Is there an app or other tool that helps you stay in prayer daily? Please share below!

Linking to Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop @ Carrie This Home, Pretty Pintastic Party @ The Wetherills Say I Do, Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest, Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now

Nhận xét

  1. I never thought to use an app! I still use a journal like my mom does. What a neat idea.

    Trả lờiXóa
    Trả lời
    1. This was just recently suggested to me by a friend and I couldn't believe I had never thought of it either! There seems to be an app for everything!

      Xóa
  2. I can totally relate to this post, and how easy it is to get lax with prayer when times are good. I keep a journal that I divide into monthly prayer/praise pages. I love the idea of setting reminders on your phone!

    Trả lờiXóa
  3. I absolutely love whisper prayers. I need to be connected to Him throughout the day and sending up those smaller prayers periodically really helps. Great lesson here. Prayer must remain an integral part of our lives regardless of how our life circumstances are.

    Trả lờiXóa
  4. Love your post. I have been reading the book "Draw the Circle" by Mark Batterson. He is a pastor out of a community church in Washington DC area. It's a great 40 day devotional to help you know more about prayer and he also encourages a prayer journal. An amazing read. Prayer should always be a part of everything we do no matter how big or small. :)

    "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." Proverbs 16:9

    Trả lờiXóa
  5. What a great post on prayer. It seems prayer makes it into my resolutions, but I want to be much more intentional about it this year. Pinning this. Thanks!

    Trả lờiXóa
    Trả lời
    1. I am working on being much more intentional about this also! Too often I get to the end of the day to find myself exhausted and realizing prayer was not a priority throughout my day. Thanks for stopping by!

      Xóa
  6. This is a big struggle of mine. I try to remember to pray in the morning when I awake and again in the evening before I sleep but I'd love to develop habits of praying without ceasing. Somehow during the hustle and bustle of my regular day I forget to take the time to stop and talk to God.

    Trả lờiXóa
    Trả lời
    1. I am in the same boat, life always seems to be so busy and distracts me from the important things I should be doing - especially quiet time with God. My husband and I are really good about prayer before every meal, but we are working on letting it permeate our lives! Accountability helps a ton.

      Xóa

Đăng nhận xét