Growing Your Faith: Storing God's Word In Your Heart


The three things that I am working on being intentional about this year are being in God's Word daily, being in prayer always, and lastly, storing God's Word in my heart.

Psalm 119:11 - Why We Should Memorize Scripture

I would be the first to say that I am absolutely horrible at memorization! I grew up going through the AWANA program - which is all about memorization of scripture. But I became the pro at short term memorization!

This is such an important aspect to our relationship with God though, and needs to be a priority in our lives. It needs to be something that we are intentional about doing, along with devotions and prayer.

As you can probably tell, I am a big fan of the Desiring God website - I've referred to it quite a few times over the last month on being intentional about growing your faith. There is a great quote I came across this week on why we should memorize scripture from Dallas Willard, a professor of Philosophy at the University of Southern California (emphasis added by me):
"Bible memorization is absolutely fundamental to spiritual formation. If I had to choose between all the disciplines of the spiritual life, I would choose Bible memorization, because it is a fundamental way of filling our minds with what it needs. This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth. That's where you need it! How does it get in your mouth? Memorization!"
I love that - it being a way of filling our minds with what it needs. I love when a verse comes to mind just when I need to hear it, and this only happens through memorization. Be sure to check out the entire article by John Piper - it lays out a few great reasons why memorization of scripture is essential to our lives. Here's another good article on scripture memorization by Jon Bloom.

The one thing with memorizing scripture is that there is not one way to do it better than another way. You just need to find out what works for you. Here are a few tips that I have found helpful:

1. Write It Out


For me, repetition is key. Whenever I have needed to learn something, if I write it out a few times or more, I tend to be able to recall it better. Just the simple act of putting pen to paper a few times really helps me out.

2. Surround Yourself With It


Write out the verse or verses you are working on memorizing on index cards and place them in key spots. In your house, in your car, on your desk at work, on your mirror in the bathroom. Anywhere you might come across it throughout your day.

3. Take Advantage of the Tools You Have


Pretty much everyone I know has a smartphone nowadays. Or a tablet or computer. Use it to your advantage! It is so easy to take a picture and add text to it - set it as your background or screensaver. Every time you look at your phone or computer, you will first see the verse!

4. Speak It Out


Not only does it help me to write it out, but as I come across the verse(s) in the key places I have set it, whenever I see it, it helps to speak it out too.  The visual and oral aspect of it is really helpful!



Wondering where to start? Pick a few of your favorite verses to start with, I find that this makes it easier to ease into the process of memorization. After that? There are lots of books out there, or even websites, with lists of some great verses for memorization. Even further - memorizing a big chunk, or even a complete book? I came across this tool that was recommended in quite a few articles I read: An Approach to Extended Memorization of Scripture by Dr. Andrew Davis {PDF}

What are some ways that you find helpful in memorizing scripture? Share below!


Growing Your Faith: Storing God's Word In Your Heart

Linking to The Party Bunch Linky Party @ The Idea Room, Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now, Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest, Motivational Monday @ A Fresh Start, Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop @ A Blossoming Life

Nhận xét

  1. Thanks for the tips. I'm participating in the Siesta Scripture Memory Team where I try to memorise 24 verses in a year. So these tips will definitely help me throughout this year.

    God Bless
    Kimberley
    peculiartreasuresblog.com

    Trả lờiXóa
    Trả lời
    1. I'll have to check that out! I think 2 verses a month is a great goal for this year, hopefully some of these tips will help you out 😄.

      Xóa
  2. I love this post! You are 100% correct, scripture memorization is an important component of our walk with God. #2 made me think of Deuteronomy 6:6-9 "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of you houses and on your gates."

    I find that writing a verse out is one of the best ways for me to memorize it. I also like some of the free lock screens from the SheReadsTruth app. They all have a pretty background with either a verse or hymn reference. :)

    Trả lờiXóa
    Trả lời
    1. Thank you for sharing that verse! I love that one and will have to add it to my list to memorize :) I just recently found SheReadsTruth and am really loving it, and they do have great images to use with verses! Thanks for visiting :)

      Xóa
  3. I love this post! This is something I really struggle with as well. I'm working on memorizing one scripture connected to my word of the year (trust) each month, and I have to admit I haven't really memorized anything yet. I couldn't recall them if you asked me, but if I see them I remember them. Short term memorization for sure. I've half-heartedly used an app on my iPad, but I think I should start just writing them out until they stick in my head like you mentioned.

    Trả lờiXóa
    Trả lời
    1. I hear you! I'm doing a little better with daily devotions, but still struggling with memorizing scripture. I like the idea of picking a verse a month based on your word of the year! I might have to try that out.

      Xóa

Đăng nhận xét